This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Friday, April 25, 2014

Ground spike as photo accesory holder


I've been to an outdoor shop recently where I saw some aluminium ground spikes for tents. Immediately, it popped into my mind that it would be a cool holder of flash or background, so I bought few of them. They were cheap and very light. Now I had to add an ¼ thread screw and they were ready to be use as small tripod (actually monopod). 



You can add a tripod ball-head for a better flexibility if you want to replace your tripod with it, but I will mainly use to support my flashlights. 


I also wanted to try it as a holder of background for studio like shoots in the nature. I combined an office clamp with a short flexible hose from loc-line and the background holder was ready.





I tried only once but the results are promising. Here you can see these new rigs in action:







However, it’s the matter of taste whether you like such too artificial photos:




Gluing parts is not yet perfect, but I will discuss the options in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment