This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Ransoms

Every spring the forests around Leipzig are filled with fine garlic smell. It signals the blossoming of ransoms (Allium ursinum) and the start of a new photo opportunity. this is again a subject I can't get tired of.



This year I tested the macro functions of my sony nex-5 with an old sigma 50mm macro. Adding the twin-flash adapter I managed to take some nice, dramatic photos. I tried to emulate the rim light effect. It's not so even but very close and much easier to apply it.





Just for comparison, here is a photo from last year taken with sony a100 and rim lighting:

The taste of the leaves are very delicious but be careful and collect it only if you are sure that you wouldn't mix up with the highly poisonous Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis). Please, be also moderate with the amount you collect and protect this beautiful plant.


2 comments: