This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Monday, November 28, 2011

Rim light

My previous two projects aimed to create ringflash adapters. However, the effect with a ring flash is getting boring after a while. My favourite home studio pictures were actually taken with the fiberstrobe V3 adapter using extreme angles:

The adjustment of the arms were not always simple so I decided to create someting really easy to use adapter. I think the picture below is quite self-explaing:

I still have to do some experiments with the mask (on the right) designed for small subjects to photograph.
At the end a new picture I really like. It has a nice 3D effect, which is impossible to get with a simple ringflash.
And shooting with the rim light adapter is really effortless and just by changing the plane of light really dramatic changes can be observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment