This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Project failed (I)

I think it's also important to show not just the successful projects but also the complete failures. White background flower close-up and macro photos are on my list for a long time. The standard technique is to lit the white background with one external strobe while illuminating the main subject with a second one. So minimum two external strobes are required. I have two units but they don't communicate with each other and actually my manual yongnuo is behaving very unreliable recently. So I wanted to solve this challenge with one strobe only. I thought that I can modify the V3 unit with 4 arms, in a way that 2 arms illuminate the background and two provides light for the subject. So this is the set-up with a special background unit:


It looks cool, isn't it? The problem is that it doesn't work in a way I wanted. The background is not homogenously lit and way under exposed. You can see the problem below:



 The direction of the light is not good, there is a hot spot in the upper part and the background in the homogenous area is not white but grey. These are the best photos I could achieve (and far from the standard I wanted to achieve):


Conclusion: I have to invest into a second flash soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment