This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Friday, June 12, 2015

Calla study

Sony recently announced the A7rII with the sensor resolution of whopping 42 megapixel. This camera is fully packed with the recent goodies you can imagine for your photography. However, I still think it's an overkill for most of the users.
People tend to spend on features they don't really need and this extreme high resolution, extreme high iso sensitivity, or in case of lenses the extreme corner sharpness at fully opened aperture is among these not vital features. In special cases they're very useful, and in some situations, they might be decisive whether you can take good or even acceptable photos. We're tending to forget though that the most essential component of photography is the quality of the light. I've recently browsed and sorted out a set of family holiday photos. It was clear that the best photos were taken when the light conditions were perfect, irrespective of the quality of the lens used. Gloomy overcast days resulted below average pictures.
That's why I focus more on lighting in my photography instead of spending fortunes for some  minimal improvements in corner sharpness. For macro and close-up photography I don't really see the point to go over 20 megapixel on APS-c sensor.
I took these photos below with an outdated nex-5 with a very cheap (200 euro) lens (SEL30M35) but I'm quite happy with the results and it's due to the composition of the light.

I used the fiberstrobe V3 adapter. I improvised a new snoot out of cardboard combining two arms. I placed the light to the flowers as I wanted. These are non edited straight out of camera photos (only resized them for posting):







No comments:

Post a Comment