This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Fiber maco aquarium project

I had a flu. The B-type. It's over now but I've stayed at home for two weeks. Two weeks at home would have been perfect for some new projects with optical fibers but I was weak and not really motivated. Two days ago however I started a small project that was in my mind for long time. I created a small aquarium with optical fiber lighting.
As a child I was fascinated by the macro world of small ponds and lakes but photographing this microcosms is really challenging. Previously I created a small aquarium but I was not happy with the lighting and the small particles caused backscatter ruining most of the pictures, or the photos required lots of post processing.
In this new project I tried to implement the rim-light concept. This is the final aquarium with fibers lighting from the sides and from the bottom:

 You can see in the back my flash (minolta 5600HSD)  triggered optically from the on-board flash of the camera (sony a100). I had to apply -1 flash correction.
Noemi, my daughter also tried the system and it was great fun to her to catch the small shrimps swimming through the viewfinder:
Most of the photos were crap due to the thin depth of field, but there was some great capture as well:





So far I took pictures of brine shrimps (Artemia) but I will use the macro fiber aquarium for many other specimens. I will explore the local zoo shops and I'm also planning to collect animals from the lakes and ponds in Leipzig.





No comments:

Post a Comment